What CASA/GAL Volunteers Do
CASA volunteers work by judicial appointment. They are assigned to a child who is the subject of a court case alleging abuse or neglect, and are asked to help determine the living arrangement that is in the child’s best interest.
This process involves:
- Investigating the circumstances behind a child’s placement in foster care.
- Interviewing parents, siblings, relatives, foster parents, doctors and teachers.
- Visiting the child multiple times in various settings
- Identifying resources for the child and helping to ensure the child obtains needed services.
- Reviewing relevant facts of the case.
- Monitoring and supporting the child as the court case progresses.
- Writing and submitting a report to the court recommending placement and treatment options that are in the child’s best interest.